Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lessons from the road: Volume I

You learn some things when you are on the road as much as I am.  Some are just common sense.  Others are learned the hard way, and not usually the first time around.  But today's lesson falls into a third, less common category:  learned accidentally.  Enough preamble; here it is--  When in a public men's room, always use the short urinal.
I know this is counter-intuitive to most of you, as it was to me, but trust me on this one.  Many of you will argue that you are too tall, or the urinal is too short, but that is not true.  Again, trust me.  I am 6'4", and I manage just fine.  Before getting into the proper use of the short urinal, let me explain why it is the superior way to go.

Splash-back, gentlemen.  You know what I am talking about, so I won't go into great detail.  The modern urinal manufacturers have recognized this problem, and to help protect your hands from this hazard they have started to put "targets" (usually a little bumble-bee) on the urinal where you are least likely to achieve splash-back.  Considering that everyone takes a different stance, and differs in height, not to mention the differences in velocity and trajectory, this target only works for some people.  But the manufacturers want you to think that they care and are addressing the problem.

The solution is the simple.  Just use the short urinal.  It will require some practice because your skills at aiming are probably rusty from the years of using modern day urinals, but it is well worth the effort.  I know that some of you will never be swayed from your habits, but those of you that take me at my word and embrace the idea...you are more than welcome.

As a side note, DO NOT wear flip-flops when using a public restroom.  Besides just being gross, splash-back can land on your feet, as well.  And, as you can see from the photo, you are shoulder to shoulder with the fella next to you, so it's not just YOUR splash-back that you need to be concerned with.  However, if the situation is such that you MUST use the restroom while wearing flip-flops, use a toilet stall to avoid your neighbor's splashiness.

I hope this was helpful.  Stay tuned for more useful advice for your travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment